The following document was prepared upon request for use as a starting point for discussions between the Shire and a land developer.
TTT supports the development of a theatre facility at the gateway to Torquay with iconic state-of-the-art facilities that will serve for future generations of the Surf Coast Shire arts community. A theatre must be designed by a theatrical architect and not simply from our suggestions or recommendations. TTT wishes to be actively consulted in the process and nominates Mr Michael Baker (a long-standing member and current Committee member) as its representative for the process.
The following represents discussions by Torquay Theatre Troupe Inc. Committee and members about its minimum requirements for the development of a theatre in Torquay.
- A theatre which has
- Seating for 120 people.
- A performance area approx. 12M deep x 8M wide PLUS wings (minimum 4 Metres each side), with wing access on both sides, (total 12M deep by 16 M wide). (At present TTT is uncertain if area is to be a conventional proscenium arch/stage or a ‘performance space/black box’ and wishes to discuss with professional planners /designers. Options for cyclorama, projection screen curtain travellers, lighting grids and fly lines to be discussed with designers)
- Appropriate infrastructure for lighting grids (fore and aft), sound and projection equipment and fixed A/V communications between bio-box and backstage
- Adequate access for bringing in and removing large sets (3-4 metres) with appropriate sightlines for audience
- Appropriate acoustics
- Dressing rooms backstage with accessible cast/crew toilets
- A foyer large enough for patrons to gather prior to performances.
- Storage area for sets, set construction, furniture, props and costumes – minimum 16 x 20 Metres (may be underground).
- Backstage: 16M x 6M to include 2 dressing rooms, toilets, temporary set storage etc.
- Comfortable raked seating for 120 (possibly retractable or telescopic)
- Foyer with box office, patron toilets and kitchenette/bar (for 120) (Approx. 16M x 10M)
- Interior height adequate to have lighting grid and catwalk above performance space. Minimum 6 metres.
- TTT would like to retain the naming rights to the theatre.
- All services for the building.
- Infrastructure for internal and external signage
December 21, 2016
TTT has always wanted a “home” of its own but, as an amateur theatrical company, would not be able to generate enough of its own income to purchase land or do building in the town. It would be the role of Local, State or Federal government and / or private support to provide the infrastructure for performance theatre in the district.
The majority of our productions since 2001 have been done at the Torquay Senior Citizens’ Hall in Price Street. The hall was renovated in 2008 (?) to include lighting bars, upgraded electrical wiring, a new ceiling (to replace the straw one where possums lived and ran free over the audience), an extended stage, large screen TV, upgraded chairs and a sound system. During that time we used the Bellbrae Hall. We have appreciated (and paid an annual fee for) the use of the hall and the Senior Citizens (and other users) have shown great forbearance with TTT’s comings and going with seating platforms, set building and use of the ‘wings’ and we thank them for that.
Nonetheless, TTT has long been in conversation with local government about our desire for a performance space and has invited Local Government representatives to our Committee meetings, been deeply involved in a local survey about performance and arts space questions, presented to the Shire about our basic needs.
Black Box’ or ‘Proscenium Arch’?
Movie used at Presentation